If you’re thinking I run a half marathon every morning at 5:00am — I wish, but no, this is not that kind of inspirational post. These are small things I try to do every morning because for a long time I either forgot or felt too guilty to do anything for myself for days on end. This is so common among women, especially moms. Taking time to care for ourselves is something we all need to plan for and cement into our daily routine.
1. Meditate — I find it hard to quieten my mind. That’s why I use the Headspace App on my phone. It only takes 5-10 minutes and for the rest of the day the incessant chatter in my head is somehow calmer and easier to switch off.
2. Make my bed — I do this the moment my feet touch the floor. Then it’s done. It looks beautiful and inviting all day and it’s heaven to slip into at night.
3. Get dressed in work out clothes — When I’m throwing on any old thing in the dark before driving my son to early morning practice, I try to make it athletic gear. Shorts, sports bra, a t-shirt. That way I’m more likely to go for a walk or even a run when I get back. I need every trick in the book to get myself out there and exercising. It works most of the time!
4. Oil pulling — I’ve been trying this age old Ayurvedic practice for a couple of months now. I simply swish a teaspoon of liquid coconut oil (set jar in a bowl of hot water to melt) around in my mouth for 20 minutes while I’m unloading the dishwasher, preparing breakfast, generally getting the house up and running for the day. I’m looking forward to my next visit to the dentist (first time I’ve ever said that!) to see whether they notice the difference. There is a lack of modern scientific study on this ancient practice, however there is a general consensus online that oil pulling reduces plaque, naturally whitens teeth, and eliminates bad breath. There are people who believe oil pulling can help with everything from asthma to arthritis, headaches to heart disease. I have to say I do have fewer headaches and feel like I have a little more energy but that could just be a coincidence!
5. Drink a cup of warm lemon water — After spitting the coconut oil into the kitchen trash (never down the sink, it’ll block the pipes!) I swish some warm salty water in my mouth to remove any traces of the oil. Then I squeeze 1/4 of a lemon into a cup of warm water. Drinking this is supposed to flush out the digestive system and rehydrate the body. It is also meant to be good for your skin and weight management.
I just love the idea of doing something good for myself before anyone else in my house is even awake. It gets my day started right!