When I was in Hawaii with my two sisters last month (apologies for the not-so-subtle skite!), I watched closely when they cooked up a storm for the Aussies who were all vacationing together. Their potato bake is legendary among our family members and I really wanted to make it for Alan’s birthday celebration last weekend.
One problem. Australia was still asleep, so I couldn’t call the girls for the recipe. This is what I remember:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Drizzle olive oil on the bottom of a large casserole dish
- Slice potatoes (Russet) and sweet potatoes in 1/8″ thick slices
- Place a layer of potatoes, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Then add a layer of sweet potato
- Grate parmesan cheese over the top and drizzle with heavy whipping cream
- Repeat the last two steps
- Drizzle with more cream (turn the calorie counting app off at this point!) until it reaches to no more than halfway to the top of the potato layers
- Bake in the oven one hour or until potato is tender and the top is golden and bubbling.
This delicious side dish was a big hit with our L.A. friends and will be a regular addition when we get together for family style meals from now on!